- This year’s Reconciliation Week theme is ‘be a voice for generations.’ It's important to give the marginalised a voice.
- One voice brings life!
Heb. 1.1-2: Long ago God spoke to our ancestors by the prophets at different times and in different ways. In these last days, he has spoken to us by his Son. God has appointed him heir of all things and made the universe through him. The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact expression of his nature, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.
God Spoke to the Prophets
- We have the words of God to the prophets recorded in Scripture.
- Sometimes we don't hear because we don't engage with his Word.
- Engagement is more than reading, it's meditating and doing.
God Speaks Through Jesus
- We can hear Jesus in the pages of Scripture and the voice of the Spirit
John 16.13-15: “When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. For he will not speak on his own… he will take from what is mine and declare it to you.”
- As the creator of all things he also speaks to us through creation.
Christ is Speaking to You
- How can we hear...
- Faith. Hebrews 11.6: “Now without faith it is impossible to please God, since the one who draws near to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.”
- Familiarity. We need to be familiar enough to recognise his voice.
- Being undistracted. So many things can get in the way!
- Re-read the passage in a couple of different translations
- Retell the passage in your own words
- Is there anything you don’t understand?
- What do you see?
- Is there a time you've heard God's voice?
- What's your favourite way of hearing God's voice?
- What is God saying to you?
- What are you going to do as a result?
- Who are you going to tell?