We Gather Around To Learn, Support Or…
The Oral Law HaD Replaced God’s Law
- The Oral Law claimed to have come from Moses
- The Pharisees considered Jesus a Law-breaker
- The Pharisees were the ones breaking THE Law
The Danger of Making Secondary Things Primary
The Oral Law Was Used To Twist Scripture
Numbers 30.2: When a man makes a vow to the LORD or swears an oath to put himself under an obligation, he must not break his word; he must do whatever he has promised.
Pharisees use their law to pit Scripture against Scripture
The Danger of Reading Scripture with a Corrupt the Heart
The Danger of Usurping the Authority of God’s Word
- We need to read culture/values through the lens of the Word, not vice versa
It’s About Clean Hearts, Not Clean Hands
- The issue isn't pots and pans but the heart and people
Jesus, the Word, Submitted to the word
- What is the spiritual authority in my life?
- What is my posture towards the Word?
- Do I understand God's heart for people not rituals etc?
- Re-read the passage in a couple of different translations
- Retell the passage in your own words
- Is there anything you don’t understand?
- What do you see?
- What does this tell us about God?
- What does this tell us about people?
- Discuss the concluding questions in the notes above:
- What is God saying to you?
- What are you going to do as a result?
- Who are you going to tell?